Skip to main content

How do i put a stop to my child support case?

Bronx, NY |

im the mother the father gives me money and takes card of his son but is on child support because ....

i once was on welfare and they put him on child support. im off welfare and the case is still open i dont know how to close the child support case!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It is not your legal responsibility to request the end of child support. The father has to make a petition to the court,. and even if you are off welfare that does not automatically mean he no longer pays child support. Depending on what is now available from you, the court might lower his obligation. I doubt they would end it.
You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on the courts in New York City helpful.

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with a local attorney about this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer