Skip to main content

How do I prove that non custodial parent owns his own businesses?

Utica, MI |

He has told my daughter and many people that knows him have told me he has more than one business but according to what he provided the court, he makes minimum wage.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will need his tax returns, and perhaps a bank audit, you cannot spend more than you take in. It is an accounting game, as well as bringing in the witnesses he has made admissions to. If you are correct the cost should be worth the cost to your children. Good luck.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .


His tax return and through these witnesses.


Brothers in counsel are right. You may hire a private dectective. In that way, you have a credible witness, photographs and perhaps transcribed conversations. Ask your attorney about that. He or she may have recommendations.


It is a correct statement that a private investigator could be hired to follow the child's parent to his various work locations. In order for any discovery to be taken, there must be an issue before the court which requires discovery. You cannot just file a subpoena requesting his tax returns. Are you attempting to increase his support obligation? Has a motion been filed for an increase? If a motion to increase or decrease his support obligation has already been heard by the court, and an order entered, then you would not be entitled to look into his finances so you are prepared in the event a motion of that nature is filed by you (increase) or him (decrease). Once there is a matter before the court, you could have an attorney subpoena his bank records, checking account statements, etc and go through something like an audit to determine whether he is depositing more than he claims, or that he is paying bills in amounts which exceed his claimed income. If that is the case, you would want to know how he is able to pay bills with his income when his bills exceed his income. Hire a family law attorney.

Neil M. Colman

Mr. Colman is licensed to practice law in Michigan. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Colman strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.