Skip to main content

How do I protect my realestate asset?

Cleveland, OH |

My mom lives in one of my condominiums rent free. All she is responsible for is her utilities and the monthly association fee. The man she is dating wants to sell his house and move in with her. How do I ensure he has no claim to my condominium if my mother dies?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Have a formal lease between you and your mother. Make the lease on a month to month basis. Make the lease for fair market value but do not collect from your mother. If your mother dies, you give 30 days notice to the man to vacate. If he does not, evict him.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.


I agree with Mr. Fink get something in writing that makes it clear the boyfriend ha no rights as to tenancy and is simply a guest who can be asked to leave at will. However, your Mom may not like the idea.