Skip to main content

How do i obtain settlement records

Albuquerque, NM |

Settlement as a result of my mother's death in Utah, I need to locate and access the accounts that the settlement money was deposited in, and im not getting any help from my father.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It could be very difficult to find out what happened to the settlement funds, depending on many factors that you don't mention in your post. You may or may not have rights to a share of the settlement, and if you have no rights, you get no information. Wrongful death settlements generally go through the superior court in the state where the case was brought, and may involve probate proceedings as well. You need to consult with a personal injury lawyer or a probate lawyer in Utah, preferably in the county where the case was filed. It's going to be almost impossible to get this information without guidance from a lawyer with specific knowledge of the Utah laws and procedures.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.


I would consult with a local attorney. It can be difficult to get these documents and locate them. Good luck.

Randy Sevenish is licensed to practice law in the State of Indiana. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship. Please speak with a local attorney to discuss your potential legal issue.


If your mother died without a will you should be a beneficiary and entitled to know. You should consider hiring a personal injury lawyer who will only charge off money you receive, a contingent fee. You could look for any probate case or wrongful death suit filed on behalf of your mothers estate but maybe your father settled out of court and signed for his children under the age of 18. Another good resource is the police report which may have the name of one or more insurance companies who you could contact. The statute of limitations is 3 years but as an intestate beneficiary you have a right to know and a right to a share of money.

Asking questions on Avvo can be a helpful introduction to your legal issues. You should not rely solely on Internet answers. At a minimum, ask for a free consultation from a local lawyer who handles your type of case.


Best way is to retain one of the personal injury lawyers in your state above to investigate this for you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer