The truth of the matter is I definitely owe the debt. I am able to pay the balance in full immediately but don't want to be swindled into paying more than I must to this firm. Here is what's happened:
- yesterday, I received a court summons.
- the summons includes an affadivit but no case number.
- I need to call the clerk tomorrow to confirm whether they've filed.
My compulsion is to do the following if they haven't filed:
- send a request for a DV via registered, next day mail.
- when I get a reciept of their acceptance, I'll call their office and work a deal. My leverage is that I have documentation that they received my DV request before they could file with the court.
- I will offer to pay the amount in full if the DV is accurate.
How do I negotite this settlement properly?