Skip to main content

How do I make a claim for emotional abuse or distress?

Henderson, NV |

I feel like I'm falling apart again, and its a game for him. It's not about wanting monetary compensation, its about him taking responsibility for his actions.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question is not very clear. But, if you are or were in relationship with someone, and that is ending, you cannot normally bring a legal case for emotional distress. There is such a cause of action for intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, normally related to a "tort" and another bad action that happens - but this does not arise from a relationship gone wrong. That said, if someone harmed you physically, it is possible to make this claim as part of a lawsuit following getting physically harmed from someone. What I hear in this case, however, is that you may need to get a protective order to keep the abusive person away from you because you are reasonably in fear due to mental game playing and/or threats. If that is the case, get in touch with the Clark County District Court, check the website for TPO's - there is a lot of good information online about what you can do about this in Clark County.


You cannot make a person take responsibility for their actions; you cannot change another's behavior. All you can do is control your own actions. You, nor anyone, should accept being abused, physically or emotionally. If married, file for divorce; if not married, leave.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer