Skip to main content

How do I know that my child is now a resident of the state I reside in?

Barre, VT |

I live in Vermont I just went to court today, in the order it states that my resident is now my daughters permanent resident for school, medical, and dental, she is four. My daughters mother was getting money from the state of Massachusetts for having my daughter, because my daughter's resident was with her mother in Massachusetts. Is there any forms/paper work that needs to be done in Vermont to make it official that my daughter is a Vermont resident, and not a Massachusetts resident? And to stop the money flow into her mother's household, because our daughter no longer resides there permanently.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You could always notify MA of the address change but it really sounds like it's more of an issue between you and your daughter's mother than something that revolves around your daughter directly.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.


I believe you mean "residence ". To my knowledge there is no particular form or forum to declare your daughter's residence as your own. When you file your taxes, you can declare her as a dependent living in your household.

You may wish to contact the Massachusetts welfare authorities to advise them that the court has transferred custody of your child to you in Vermont.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer