Skip to main content

How do I know if the home is in foreclosure that I'm pay rent on.

Fort Myers, FL |

I'm a tenant at and I got several letters in the mail address to unknown tenant(s) stating there is a court case type (ca mortgage foreclosure) and there is a (case management conference and hearing). Now all the defendants that's list non of which is the land lord I'm paying rent too. So my concerns are: is the home in foreclosure and how do I know if my"land lord" actually owns this property being that I don't see his name on the defendant list.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The home is in the foreclosure process if you are getting foreclosure papers to the "unknown tenant." If the landlord is not on the paperwork, he does not own the property. You can check with the Lee County Property Appraiser to find out who owns the property. Just give them the street address.


All records are kept online. Visit your county clerk website and you can find any foreclosure pending by running the owners name. Most county website will also allow you to view the docket to see the status of the case. If you can't find it call me


You can also go to the case management hearing. Do you have a written lease?

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. Leonore M. Greller, Esq. is a Supreme Court Certified Civil Circuit and Family Mediator and a Qualified Residential Mortgage Foreclosure Mediator and Arbitrator.


The other attorneys gave excellent answers. I'd like to add that you should file a copy of your written lease agreement with the clerk of courts. If you don't have a written lease agreement, write a short letter to the judge in the foreclosure case stating that you are a tenant in the property in question and state your name, what day of the month rent is due, how much is due, when you began renting and if you have an agreement for a term like a year or month-to-month, who is taking the rent and claiming to be the owner, and your mailing address and telephone number. Make sure to mail a copy to each party who is a plaintiff and each party who is a defendant in the case.

Once you do this, all parties and the judge will be on notice that you are occupying the property. Also, all potential buyers at the foreclosure sale will be on notice.

Good luck. If you have any questions, please make an appointment with a local foreclosure attorney or real estate lawyer who can give you a consultation.

Leonore M. Greller

Leonore M. Greller


Any letters or onformation to the courtor clerk should have the foreclosure case number on it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer