Skip to main content

How do I know if someone is definitely a citizen?

Lexington, MA |

I am not sure if my ex definitely received her citizenship. She assaulted me and faces trial next week. Can I ask her attorney about that? or should I speak to the court that this is out of and ask them about it? I want to know if she's at risk for deportation therefore I need to exactly what her citizenship status is. How do you suggest I go about finding this information out accurately?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If your ex has an attorney, then that attorney would usually be responsible for advising her regarding deportation risk. If you are the opposing party it is almost certain that they will not give you any more information.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


There is no comprehensive way to answer this question. There are a few things you could do that might give some hint:

If this person is being held in jail, and the police or sheriff have reason to suspect that they are in the country illegally, they might place an 'ICE hold' on the person, and have them held (for up to an extra 48 hours) while Immigration and Customs Enforcement interviews them about their status. In that case, the hold will show up on the jail's inmate database, if there is one.

Immigrants also have the right to ask the government for their own alien file. If your ex is totally undocumented, then she won't have one, but if she was here legally on some sort of visa, then she would. You can't ask for her file from the government, but if you were engaged in litigation against her - say, because you sued her for assault - you could request it. You might have to show why her alien status was relevant to your cause of action.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. There is no comprehensive U.S. database for citizenship, and your ex or her lawyer are under no obligation to answer the question for you otherwise.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


There is no way for you to find out. You need to move on with your life instead of obsessing over her immigration status.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.