Skip to main content

How do I know if I have a libel case?

Oakdale, CA |

I have been accused of actions such as calling someone names and aggressively handling my girlfriend while being intoxicated. None of these statements are true and I have signed letters from the accusing parties witness and others that they are not true including my girlfriend. The parties that are accusing filed a complaint in writing at my country club asking for action to be taken. The information that they put in their complaint came from a 3rd party. They also attacked my girlfriend in the letter. This is obviously a personal problem that they have taken to a level to try to harm our reputation and business.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Take the letters or communications to a local attorney. defamation has some specific limits and I cnnot tell from your post if you are or are not within them.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


I agree that you should take all your documentation to an experienced personal injury attorney who practices in the defamation area. Typically you have a year from the date of the "publication" of defamatory statements to bring a cause of action. An experienced attorney can also help you communicate with the board of your country club to clear the matter up at that level. Good Luck.


Take the papers to a local defamation attorney


Sounds like a smear campaign. If it causes you damages, loss of standing in your country club or removal, I would hire a defamation lawyer and let him take it from that point on. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer