Skip to main content

How do I go about re-opening a case once it has been closed?

Raeford, NC |

Supposedly, my brother commited suicide in 1994.He was in his home. He and his current girlfriend/fiancee were the only two people looked in his bedroom at the time of the incident. The fiancee said that he took a shotgun and shot himself in the face, cause she revealed to him that she didn't want to be with him any longer and she was going back to her ex-boyfriend. The SBI in the county where he lived said that they investigated, and closed the case as a suicide. I and numerous other people believe that it was a murder instead of a suicide. Now, because it has been 18 years, is there anything that can been done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


That would be up to the local or state police/law enforcement. It would not likely involve a wrongful death civil suit in any way.


Many state bureaus of criminal apprehension have cold case units that look into unsolved or questionable deaths. I would advise that you need more than just suspicion to turn this agency into this case. You need some new evidence that places into question the cause of death.


A civil case for money damages would be barred by the statute of limitations. A criminal case for murder has no such limitation, but it would be up to the DA and police to arrest and prosecute.

Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue. The questioner should not base any decision on the answer and specifically understands and agrees that no client-lawyer relationship has been established between Bradley A. Coxe or Hodges & Coxe PC and the inquirer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer