Skip to main content

How do I go about lifting the probation for a misdemeanor so I may join the USAF?

Minneapolis, MN |

Last September I got a DWI after I pulled over and called 911 b/c my drunk husband jumped out of our moving vehicle on the freeway (after choking me till I agreed to drive him home) - I still have plans for joining the military and want to get the ball rolling but need my probation lifted in order to do so. My DWI was dropped to careless driving and my driving record is clean as they dropped the civil part of the case a month ago. How do I got about getting my "probation" lifted so I may join the USAF asap??? Please help!!! This is my dream and really can't wait till next May to do so!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The only entity that can lift your probation is the Court that imposed it. If this is as important to you as you indicate, do not do this half-way. Contact a local defense lawyer who will know the procedure and have the forms to request that the matter be reheard by the Court by way of a Motion for Reconsideration of the sentence. I have made such Motions here in NJ for similarly situated clients and been successful at getting the probation lifted. Typically, the Court wanrts to see the enlistment papers, or talk to your recruiter. Good luck.

This response does not constitute legal advice. Given the nature of this website, it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.


A motion must be brought before your sentencing judge. You should make certain that all other conditions ordered at sentencing have been satisfied prior to the hearing. (i.e. Chemical health assessment and recommendations, MADD panel, etc...) You should contact your attorney regarding this motion. If you do not have an attorney, you should immediately begin interviewing firms. Our firm has handled this type of motion many times in the past. Feel free to contact us for a free consultation.


I was going to say the same thing as Ms. Lang, whom I know to be an excellent attorney here in Minnesota.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer