Skip to main content

How do I go about getting deed to property if my father died 7 years ago?

Tulare, CA |

The property is also in his girlfriends name. They never married.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Do not assume you automatically have rights in the property in question.

You first need to look at the deed. If title was held by your father and his girlfriend as joint tenants, she now owns the entire property and you have no rights to it.

You also need to see if your father had a will, and whether you are the named beneficiary. If you are not, then you have no interest in the property.

Regardless, you have no right to diminish the girlfriend's interest in the property. You can only "step into the shoes" of your father.

You should meet with a probate lawyer in your area to discuss what rights you might have, and how you can proceed.


I agree with my colleague and changed the practice area from real estate to probate.

This is a question for a probate attorney - who would need to see the deed and information regarding other potential heirs of your father's estate.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


I agree with Mr. Perry. I would add that, under the bare facts you mention, it does not appear you have any rights to the property in his girlfriends name. You need an attorney to review title documents and any will or trust that your father executed before you can determine if you are entitled to anything by virtue of your father's death.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer