Skip to main content

How do i go about getting child support to take my exs taxes for past due child support?

Chicago, IL |

My son's father is past due almost $8,000.00 he is making his regular payments of $143.00 bi-weekly. Child support services just sent a income with holding letter to his job for them to with hold a extra $29.00 bi-weekly for his arrearage. How can i go about them taking his taxes for his past due arrearage?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will not be able to do that. Call the folks you are working with at Child Support Services. They should be able to help you.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Only HFS can intercept. Otherwise you have to timely file (ie, just before tax season starts) for turnover of his refund vis a vis a rule to show cause.


Once the tax refund hits his bank account, the only way is to garnish his bank account pursuant to the child support judgment. The State's Attorney can also intercept tax returns. You should speak to an attorney about ways to collect the arrearage. Please feel free to call my assistant Dan London at 312-807-3990 to set up a private telephone consultation with me. The consultation is entirely confidential and we can formulate a strategy on your case. These details should not be discussed over the Internet.

Elizabeth A. Demonte The Law Offices of Jeffery M. Leving, Ltd. 312-407-6854. The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer