HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING A DIVORCE WITHOUT LOSING EVERYTHING TO MY SPOUSE?

Wrightsville, GA |

I NEED A DIVOCE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, CAUSE I WANNA MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE.

The quickest and surest way to get what you want is to consult with a local attorney asap. At the consultation, you will be able to review all your rights, options and obligations and the relative costs associated with your preferred plan. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on AVVO. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Attorney Brown gave you very good advice. You should consult with a local attorney. Your attorney can assist you with filing for your divorce, advise you on property rights, child and spousal support obligations.

Rarely does someone loose everything in a divorce. The laws are fairly equitable and prevent one party from taking advantage of the other. Every divorce is different and an attorney can advise you on your best course of action. Best wishes!

Wes Hill
(678) 994-4091

This response does not create an attorney client relationship nor should the advice be relied upon because it is not specific to your legal situation. Before you depend on legal advice, you should retain competent counsel.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

As always, the highest regard should be given to the information provided by your local attorneys.

Georgia has a no fault provision in its divorce laws. You didn't disclose why you believe you'll lose everything simply because you want a divorce. Your first step should be to consult with several lawyers in your area to discuss your marital assets, spousal support (if applicable), and child support obligation (if you have minor children).