Skip to main content

How do i go about asking to see what evidence the prosecution has against me in a felony criminal case

Los Angeles, CA |

i am being charged with residential burglary but i did not do it. I helped a friend sell some antiques and apparently they were stolen from a house which i knew nothing about so when i went back to the place where i sold the "stolen item" they informed me the item was stolen and took my license plate number down from my car. Well 2 or 3 months go by and i recieved 2 letters from the police dept asking me to contact them because i was a witness to a crime that occured at this place of business where the item was sold to. I didnt think that much into it because i did nothing wrong. Well the third letter came and it was informing me that I had a 20,000 warrant for my arrest for a PC459. I couldnt believe it. how can i view the possible evidence they have linking me to the crime. thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Out here on a legal website we can give you information but we can not defend you or represent you. You need to retain a criminal defense attorney to raise all possible defenses and to do what is called "discovery" to obtain the prosecution's evidence.

Do not make statements to anyone about this except for your criminal defense attorney.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.


The defense is entitled to all discovery - that is to see what evidence the prosecution has against you. Your attorney will be provided with this discovery at your first court appearance (your arraignment) and as the case progresses.

You've got a warrant out for your arrest. The important thing is to stay out of custody. If you haven't already done so, it's time to get a lawyer. You can potentially negotiate and remain out of custody if you voluntarily show up with your lawyer. If bail is required, your lawyer can help with arranging bail.

If you cannot afford an attorney and will be seeking a public defender, you're still in a better position if you voluntarily show up and put yourself on calendar, rather than wait to be arrested on the warrant.

If there truly is a warrant out for you, it won't go away. If you have the means, hire an attorney.


You need to hire an attorney. You cannot defend these charges alone. If you cannot afford an attorney you can seek the assistance of the public defender. Your attorney will get all the evidence that the prosecutor has and be able to review it with you. Since you have a warrant for your arrest it is best to get this taken care of on your time and not be picked up by the police at work or at home.
Robert Driessen