Skip to main content

How do I get to adopt my grandson?

Orlando, FL |

I have been taking care of my grandson for 4 yrs(mom is in jail for life) father has been in and out of jail ( don't know of his whereabouts now for 4 yrs) why can't it be a simple adoption by abandonment?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

It appears that you have a very good case of abandonment and you should contact an attorney to handle this matter so that your grandson can be leagally secure in your custody. In Florida, birth parents that desire to establish and/or protect their parental rights are expected to pay a fair and reasonable amount of the expenses incurred in connection with the child and establish a relationship with the child. We attempt to locate and contact birth fathers (and birth mothers) to see if they will voluntarily cooperate with the adoption and sign a consent or affidavit of nonpaternity. If not, we will ask that the court waive the parent's consent and process the adoption.

Jeanne T. Tate P.A.
418 West Platt Street
Tampa, Florida 33606
(813) 258-3355 ext 101
(813) 258-3373 Facsimile

Follow us on Facebook

Follow me on twitter:

I am not licensed in any other state than FL.
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information and is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, and any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services and runs a conflict check and your have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Florida Attorney or an Attorney in your area that knows the relevant facts of your case.


If the mother is serving a life sentence and the father has disappeared, and you have had custody for the last 4 years, your petition to adopt would probably be granted. However, service of process or proof of a good faith attempt to effect service required in the absence of written consents by the biological parents. It will require a formal court proceeding.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer