Skip to main content

How do I get the testimony of 3 witnesses for a federal civil lawsuit in which I am a plaintiff in pro per?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a plaintiff in pro per on a federal civil lawsuit . I am in discovery and I don't know how to have some witnesses answer some interrogatories that i have repaired . How do I do this ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If they aren't parties to the lawsuit they do not have to answer any interrogatories. If they are witnesses you can informally ask them questions. However, if they are witnesses and part of the Defendant, then you would have to formally take their deposition.

I would highly recommend you contact an attorney ASAP on this website. The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure are highly complicated and you need an attorney to help you.

Best of Luck.

Ian A. Scharg, Esq.
Law Offices of Mark A. Redmond
555 Capitol Mall, Suite 770
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 444-8240
Elder Abuse. Fraud. Class Actions.

This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney if you have any questions regarding this matter.


I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. However, you would have to subpoena them. You could subpoena them for deposition and for trial.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer