Skip to main content

How do I get the deed to ground changed to my name.I want to sell it. What is my first step?Will I pay inheritence tax to NC .

Mifflintown, PA |

My mother who is deceased willed me ground with timber in N.C. She lived and died in Pa. I also live in Pa.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will need to have a probate attorney review the will and probate documents. The probate attorney will then need to consult a probate attorney in NC to determine whether there is a need to open an estate there too, or just prepare the deed.


Based upon what you have written, it appears that you will need an ancillary probate opened to deal with the NC property. If an estate wasw not opened in PA, you may be able to open a probate estate in NC. Check with an estate adminstration attorney in PA for advice.