Skip to main content

How do I get temp custody or temp guardianship for my 14 yr old granddaughter?

Edgefield, SC |

Her Parents( my son and daughter in law) basically kicked her out after she told them she liked a young man at school that was of a different race.( She can not date, and has never been out on a date with anyone) They have verbally beat her down with name calling and have been horrible to her. My son brought her to me one night when things had gotten so heated that they were all about to explode. They were all crying and my granddaughter feels worthless, her self esteem has been pushed so far down that she feels like she has no one. I want her to feel safe and secure, my daughter in law is still texting her and being verbally abusive to her. My son is not talking to her.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I admire your willingness to step-in and be a shield for your grand-daughter. All children should be so fortunate.

Unfortunately, obtaining Guardianship when the parents are both still alive is very difficult unless they are willing to step away from this role. You should contact an experienced South Carolina attorney to advise you as to next steps. Good luck to you.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.