Skip to main content

How do I get Surveillance Tapes from a public domain?

Santa Rosa, CA |

Recently, one of my very good friends was "Verbally Assaulted" in a community place with cameras installed. It was the public clubhouse for Leisure Mobile Home Park. When she asked for the tapes, because she was considering pressing charges, they denied her access. Does she need a warrant or are they supposed to be available to her? (The installation of these cameras was HIGHLY opposed by the community)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unless the property's rules allow residents to receive copies of tapes like this, the only way to get it is to file a lawsuit and request if through the discovery process. Your friend could also organize the residents of the mobile home park to demand a copy, perhaps by circulating a petition or stacking the monthly homeowners meeting.

*** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***


The cameras may be in a public place, but they are privately owned. The Park has no obligation to provide copies of any recordings. You will need a subpoena issued in a civil case. If your friend convinces the police to file criminal charges, they will be able to get the tapes.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer