Skip to main content

How do I get spousal support ordered, when it wasn't ordered during the court hearing?

Holbrook, AZ |

I was in a default divorce hearing, I was in default. Spousal support was not ordered to either party. My ex-husband and I were married for 22+ years. I supported him while he got his bachelor's and masters degrees. I supported him in his profession as a minister throughout the marriage. I worked part-time jobs throughout the marriage while also having our three children who I was the primary caregiver to. I obtained a GED, however never received any professional training or degrees. With his salary, housing, medical and many more benefits he makes $70K plus per year. I believe I am entitled to spousal support, but the judge did not order any. I am currently living below poverty level and at some times have been homeless due to my lack of resources. How do I get spousal support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you did not ask for it before the divorce was finalized, you most likely have waived the right to spousal maintenance. You should consult with a family law attorney as soon as possible to discuss this.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.


You may be able to set aside the default and address the support issue if you have a good reason for defaulting.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.