Skip to main content

How do I get someone removed from my house who won't leave?

Downingtown, PA |

Person does not pay rent or any bills. Was Daughter's boyfriend. Asked to leave but refuses.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may have to evict him.

Notice of termination (likely 30 days), if he refuses, suit for unlawful detainer (UD) (eviction) in court. The sheriff's will drag him out eventually. You don't need a lawyer, the court clerks can tell you what forms to fill out and the website for your county court likely has a description of the process. From beginning to end it could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. Addressing your issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM providing you educational information NOT legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


In order to evict him we have to first see if his name is actually on the lease. If his name is not on the lease it will be a lot easier to kick him out to the extent that he most likely does not have the right to be on your property.

However, if he you do have a lease with him. You should first send him a letter to vacate the property. It is common to give at least 30 days for him to get out. List the reasons for his eviction in the letter (e.i. failure to pay rent...etc...). Make sure it's certified. Then you would need to file for an eviction.

Whatever you do, do not kick him out on your own. Pennsylvania does not like self-help. You could face serious legal consequences.

If you would like more information I can be reached at

Michael Kotik, Esq. |

Two Penn Center (Philadelphia)
1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220
Philadelphia, PA 19102 | (215) 564-1010 (24 Hour/Office Line) | (267) 265-4553 (Direct Line)

Thank you,
Michael Kotik

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from Kotik, P.C. The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Law Office of Michael Kotik, P.C., | | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102