Skip to main content

How do I get sole custody if I was married to him?

Wichita Falls, TX |

He has been sexually,physically,and emotionally abusive to me and I am afraid he may do something to my daughter. He also has a drug problem. How do I go about getting sole custody and no visitation?

Thank you for your answers. I am filling for child support and I know it is very unlikely that they will give me sole custody without some kind of visitation ( at least some kind of ultimatum for him... rehab, psych eval, something ) Is that the right way to go about it? Child support then divorce? That way it is easier for me to get sole custody and cut out the child support's visitation. Or should I not even go for child support since I would like to involuntarily terminate his rights?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Start by finding a lawyer or legal services clinic that provides low cost or free services for situations like this.
Then you may be able to do several things: get a protective order from the court against him, and go to court and get a custody order that limits his custody. The court will always make a decision on what is best for the child. If the court believes he is a potential danger to the child because of his drugs and abuse, then it's possible the court will give you full custody. 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


File an action in probate and family court for divorce or paternity.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


As a former family law practitioner for over 20 years (and a former police chief and assistant district attorney) I would talkj to him about agreeing to terminate his parental rights and if he will sign all paperwork he wont have to pay any child support because his parental rights are terminated/ended and you don't have to worry about visitation. Talk to a family law attorney and call Legal Aid.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at



He will not sign them over for anything he doesn't like the man I am with and is extremely jealous since he is one of those control freaks! I s there any way to involuntarily terminate? I know it may be a long process. Should I just forget the child support that way it is better when it comes to trying to get his rights terminated? Or should I just be happy with sole custody and right a living will for if something happens? (heaven forbid)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer