Skip to main content

How do I get permission from a judge while I am on probation to take a cruise with my family?

Tallahassee, FL |

I was placed on probation for two years. I have completed one year of the sentence.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You would need to file a motion for travel and set it for hearing in front of the judge overseeing your probation, which is usually the same judge who sentenced you. This sort of motion should include details of your trip including dates and itinerary of the places you'll visit as well as give the reason for the trip. You also should tell your probation officer about it and find out if the probation officer will or will not have an objection to the trip. An experienced criminal defense attorney in your area would be able to assist you with this and make sure that it was done properly. The judge may or may not grant it, but the nice thing about this sort of motion is that you really don't do any harm by asking. However, if the judge denies your motion you will not be able to take the trip without risking a violation of probation. Good luck!

Legal disclaimer: this response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is based on the limited facts given and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney before taking any action based on the foregoing statements.


Call a local criminal defense attorney. You need a modification of your probation which is often pretty easy to handle with enough lead time.


You might have two options available. First, if you've successfully completed 1/2 of your sentence without having violated probation & if you've successfully completed all of your sanctions, then you may want to file a motion to early term your probation. If you don't qualify for early term, a motion for leave to permit your travel can address your request to the judge. Either way, you'll want to hire local counsel to handle it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer