Skip to main content

How do I get new I-20 after falling out of status due to the American embassy in Caracas?

San Francisco, CA |

We are sponsoring a student from Venezuela and she arrived here on an F1 visa after the I-20 said that she could start school, because the American Embassy in Caracas took so long to issue the F1 visa. The DSO at S.F. city college said that SEVIS cancelled her I-20. When I called SEVIS they said that the DSO can change the dates of the program on the I-20. I am trying to file a 539 but I need a new I-20. How in the world do I get a new I-20 if our student is considered out of status and the original was cancelled? Can anyone recommend an attorney familiar with these issues? Thanks so much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The DSO can issue a new I-20. Get back in touch with him or her. If reinstatement of status is required, the DSO will indicate that on the I-20. Then you can file the I-539. I or one of the many fine immigration lawyers in SF would be available if necessary, but see if you can work this out with the DSO first.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer