Skip to main content

How do I get my girlfriend (ex) to move out of my home?

Round Rock, TX |

My girlfriend moved in with me in Feb. She lived rent free for the first few months. She has been paying $700 towards living expenses but is always a month behind. We are now broken up and I would like her to find somewhere else to live within the next 2 weeks. She is not on the lease nor on any of the utilities. Is it within my rights to evict her with 2 weeks notice? What steps should I take?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


She is your tenant. You have to give her 30 days notice and then file a lawsuit to evict her if she does not leave.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Actually, pursuant to Texas Property Code section 24.005, you have to give her 3 days notice to vacate, not 30, before you file an eviction suit. You can give her the notice in person, or by certified mail return receipt requested. If i were you, I'd do both so you have proof you did it. Make sure you date the notice. Make sure you put in the letter that you wil file a lawsuit against her if she does not comply.

Most times, tenants move out within the 3 days so as not to have to deal with an eviction lawsuit. You or your attorney would file the eviction in JP court.

This posting is not a solicitation, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. It is for imformational purposes only and does not constitute legal advise.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer