Skip to main content

How do I get my ex-husband's parental rights/visitation/custody removed in Washington state?

Federal Way, WA |

He is not committed to being their father, he's more concerned with the money he "wastes" supporting them. I have evidence supporting his inability to father them properly. We have been distressed for long enough and I'm ready to let him give up his rights. I know termination of parental rights and child support only happen when the kids are adopted by another but what can I do for NOW, without an adoption, to accomplish any of this? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The father's rights can't be terminated under these circumstances. It's possible to deal with these issues in a petition or motion relating to visitation. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parenting plans and visitation for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


Nothing -- the best you can do is restrict his visitaiton based upon RCW 26.09.191 if is actions fall under these stautory criteria. If not, he has a absolute right to visit with his chidlren -- Parenting is a constitutionally protected fundamental right under the US constitution.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements