Skip to main content

How do i get my ex husband off the deed to my house?

Gibsonia, PA |

this was part of the settlement agreement which he signed. the divorce is final and i paid the lawyer in full but she never did get the deed in just my name. he is in prison and i really do not want contact with him. i heard that i could do this myself with a quit claim deed. do i need a lawyer for this process or can i just send him the form and hope he signs it and take it to a notary? if i should have a lawyer how much should i be charged? also i tried everyway possiblle to contact my lawyer to get this done and got no response. then i put it on the back burner. so its been like three years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Try one more time to contact your prior lawyer. If no response you may consider asking the Pennsylvania Bar association for assistance. Otherwise, contact a local real estate lawyer and have a quit claim deed prepared. He needs to sign it and it needs to be filed in your local land registry (called the Register of Deeds in Wisconsin).

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:


I agree with Attorney Kenyon. Attempt to contact your attorney once more. If he is unwilling/unable to help, contact a family law attorney to prepare the deed for you. It shouldn't cost you a lot of money to have a quit claim deed to be prepared.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.