Skip to main content

How do I get my drivers license back after a DUI?

Pittsburg, CA |

I am over 21 and was over 21 at the time of the DUI. My B.A.C. was .15 and I didnt have car insurance. I am still making payments to the city for the pole I damaged and recently completed the required drug & alcohol class. Prior to the DUI I never even had a ticket on my driving record. Please tell me how I can obtain my full drivers license back not just a restricted one. Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


At the time of your arrest the officer confiscates your DL and gives you a 30 temporary permit. At the end of that 30 day period you may apply for a restricted valid for 90 days. At the end of the 90 period you may re-apply for a CDL unless the court has imposed some other order. So if it is 4 months from your arrest you should be able to get a full license.


Why is your license suspended? Is it for the DUI, or did the DMV suspend your license administratively for failing to have insurance?

The DMV suspension for a first time DUI is four months. After your license is suspended for a month, you can get a restricted license that allows you to drive to and from work, in the course of employment, and to and from the DUI program. Depending on how long has passed, you may be able for full reinstatement of your drivers license.

To get a restricted license within the four-month suspension, you can go to DMV with proof of enrollment (or, in your case, completion) in the first offender DUI class, an SR22 insurance certificate (where the insurance company promises to notify DMV is your license is canceled) and a hundred dollars. If the suspension period is over, you need the SR22 and money, but the proof of DUI classes isn't required.

The conviction in the court case also results in a suspension, with eligibility for a restricted license.

DMV will be able to tell you if you're eligible for reinstatement and what you will need to give them.


Please see my answer to your earlier question. Upon losing your license either through the DMV process or court you should be eligible for a "full" license six months after the date that the initial action was taken provided you have no outstanding legal issues (unpaid tickets or other "snags") you have enrolled in a DUI program, filed an SR-22 and paid the necessary license reissue fees.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer