Skip to main content

How do i get my child support arrears payment lowered?

Eugene, OR |

After years of drug and alcohol addiction i got clean in 2003 and soon after started making $600 mo arrears payments on an already adult son who died in 2011. The arrears are from texas, wyoming, and oregon (where i live now). How do i find my balance owed and can i get the payments lowered? my life has been on the right track for over 10 years and I would like to start a family and buy a house now, But $600 a month is quite alot in this economy.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Child support payment amounts are calculated based upon the income of both parents (as well as the amount of time that the child spends with each parent each year, but if we're talking about arrears for a currently adult child, much less one who is sadly deceased, that factor doesn't enter into it). You can request review of your payments by administrative action once every three years, or file a court motion to change it based on a major change of economic circumstances. Before you do this, you should consult with an attorney to determine whether, under your current income, your support payments would actually increase or decrease.

The fact is, child support arrears are among the hardest debts to get rid of. They can't be discharged in bankruptcy; no statute of limitations applies; they never, ever go away until they're paid off. The lower your payments are, the more interest will continue to accrue. You may be better off paying a higher amount and getting it over with before you enter into new major financial obligations.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online: