How do I get my CA driver's license back after it was suspended six years ago?

Fullerton, CA |

In 2004 I was arrested for DUI. Shortly after I moved to New York City. I never did anything about it until I hired an attorney last year who had the criminal charges dismissed on a "Serna" motion. I have never applied for a driver's license since then but I want to know how to get it back if I want to drive in NY or if I move back to CA. Do I need the 1650 waiver if it has been this long? And do I still need the SR-22?

Best Answer

I've started to answer this question a couple of times and wind up spinning around in my chair. You have no conviction but if you were a .08 or greater the DMV would have suspended your license. You have sat out the entire period of DMV suspension so you should not have to take a class. You should be able to go to the DMV and get your requirements to reinstate which should be just proof of insurance(The Sr-22) That said, good luck as the DMV is one of th emost arcane bureaucracies ever(more like bureaucrazies)

This is a DMV issue which means there is never a simple answer. To start the process you should contact the California DMV to get your license reinstated. You will most likely have to file the SR-22 to get the license.
Robert Driessen

Your license was still suspended by the DMV. To get a license in California you need to do the DUI class and pay the reinstatement and come with an SR-22. If you only want to drive in NY, you may be able to do the 1650 waiver.

Edward J. Blum