Skip to main content

How do i get my boyfriend out of jail??

Clearwater, FL |

I recently got my boyfriend put in jail over some "domestic violence." I want to know how to get him out because we were argueing for 2 days and mean while we were physically fighting. I dont got any marks or anything but i accidentally scratched him cause i got nails on. I dont want him sitting in jail over something as little as a couple arguements. Is there any way i can get him out of it?

The police also said something about it being a felony because he had his hands on my neck, im not pressing any charges or anything but i did write a statement because if i denied it, the lady police officer said something about not cooperating. PLEASE HELP ME!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your boyfriend will go to First Appearance in the morning and the Judge will set conditions for his release. You should contact a local criminal defense lawyer to determine whether or not you want to retain them to represent your boyfriend.

Geoffrey R. Mason


If your boyfriend has an attorney, you would need to speak with him or her. You may also want to file a declination of prosecution with the state attorney's office. They may require you to attend a victim awareness class which based on the facts described above, may be a good idea. Depending on whether or not there is enough evidence to proceed with or without you, the state will make their charging decision. Your boyfriend's attorney needs to set a bond hearing in order for the Judge to consider his release if he is unable to get out now. Contact a local criminal defense attorney for guidance.

Legal disclaimer: I'm only licensed in FL. Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Please know that the Pinellas County State Attorney's Office aggressively prosecutes Domestic Violence case -- especially if they are Felony charges (like Domestic Battery by Strangulation -- which seems to be the charge that your boyfriend is looking at).

You should contact an experienced criminal defense attorney who is familiar with the Pinellas County criminal justice system and knows how to handle these types of cases.

I agree that a written and sworn "Request Not to Prosecute" and "Request for Contact" could help the case and let the State Attorney's Office know, in advance, how you feel about the case and whether or not you want your boyfriend prosecuted.

Nonetheless, the case is in the hands of the State Attorney's Office and they will make a filing decision based on the facts of the case, your boyfriend's prior record (especially as it relates to domestic-related charges), whether there were any visible injuries, independent witnesses, etc.

Our Office handles many of these types of cases. If your boyfriend does not currently have an attorney, we would be more than happy to discuss the matter further with you and/or provide you with a free consultation to discuss the issues involved and the best way to proceed.

Obviously, this needs to be taken seriously as this is a Third Degree Felony offense punishable by a maximum of five (5) years in the Florida State Prison system.

Good luck,

Aaron J. Slavin, Esq.
4707 140th Avenue North, Suite 211
Clearwater, Florida 33762

This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


post bond then drop the charges

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer