Skip to main content

How do I get money that my previous employer owes me?

Mesa, AZ |

About a month ago, I was terminated. I never received my final paycheck or the deposit on my uniforms that was to be refunded once uniforms were returned after cessation of employment. I have tried contacting the companies human resources department multiple times, but they refuse to return my phone calls.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Under Arizona law, you should have received your final paycheck within 7 of your workdays or the next pay day after your termination, whichever was sooner. You can file a complaint against the employer with the Labor Department of the Industrial Commission of Arizona as long as the wages due are $5,000 or less. This complaint must be filed within 1 year after the wages were due. The Labor Department will investigate and order the employer to pay the wages if your claim proves true.

Your other option is to file suit against the employer. As part of your damages, you can seek three times the amount of unpaid wages.

A local employment attorney can explain all of your options. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer