Skip to main content

How do I get fraudulent debt off my record?

Olean, NY |

6 years ago i moved from florida to ny and a friend of mine got out an apartment in my name and his while i was living in ny. Now there is a 6,000 debt on my credit report. I have tried disputing this, but they say it is me. Now i am trying to purchase a house. I am willing to pay half owed just to get my new house. How do i make him responsible for the other half? Will i have to pay it all, since he fraudulently took a old id of mine and someone who looks like me in to sign the initial papers for the lease agreement?

+ Read More

Filed under: Credit Fraud
Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Since 6 years is the deadline for claims for fraud (which this seems to be) you should speak to an attorney ASAP to preserve any rights you still might have.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.


I agree with the wise words of Attorney Stumpf. Hire a lawyer on this matter asap.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer