Skip to main content

How Do I get Emancipated at the age of 16 without parental consent?

Columbiana, OH |

I am 16 years old and I want to get emancipated. I'm attending high school now but I'm graduating early because of my good grades, and amount of credits. I'll graduate in 2015. I don't speak to my biological father, and I currently live with my mom and step dad. My step-dad is always mentally abusing me and putting me down about myself. He also slams me into doors, and slaps me in the face for no reason. My mother also mentally abuses me telling me I'll never amount to anything in life and much more, They don't allow me to leave the house, and they treat me like a slave but I never leave my room. I don't have a job yet or a car because they won't allow me. I need to get out of here. I have a place I can move and go get a job and go half on the bills with them. Can you help me please?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Ohio law does not allow a minor to petition the court for emancipated. Although you would be emancipated if you were to marry, consent of your parents is required if you are under the age of 18. If you are being abused in your home, I would encourage you to talk to your school counselor. Although you may not be emancipated, there may be other avenues available to help you escape a truly damaging environment.

The above information is shared for educational and discussion purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is intended or established through your reliance on the information provided. If your legal rights could be impacted by using this information, you are urged to seek legal counsel before taking action.


I absolutely agree with my colleague. If you're being abused, tell someone. You cannot be emancipated in Ohio unless you marry or join the military and neither is going to happen without parents' consent anyway. God luck to you.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If so, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer." The information provided here is general in nature and is not to be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended nor created. As an Ohio attorney not licensed in any other jurisdiction, any information provided here is solely based on Ohio law and general legal principles. The information provided here should not be put into practice without specifically consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer