Skip to main content

How do I get emancipated at 17 in New York

New York, NY |

How do I go about getting emancipated at 17 in order to be declared a legal adult and get out of my parents house?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Start by being self supporting. Do you have a job? A place to live? If you can at all wait, your best bet is to stay with your parents until you're 18 and save, save, save until that time.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


There is no specific application or petition to "emancipate" yourself. Until you are 18, you are still (legally-speaking) a child who must be governed by your parents. Understand that if you leave the house against your parents wishes, you forfeit your ability to request any financial support from them.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


You need to have a plan to pay for your food, clothing , and shelter. Also, think long range about completing your education and increasing your career potentials.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


I agree with both attorneys. Go to school during the day. Get a job after school. You'll be out of the home for a gread portion of the day. Save your money and wait until you turn 18.