How do i get custody of grandchild from CPS in Texas?

Cisco, TX |

6 months ago, my grandson was taken by CPS because of suspected child porn on the computer and also the condition of the home. No charges have been filed so we don't know what is going on. The computer had been broken , unusable for approximately 2 months before this happened. My son and his wife split the next day and she moved in with her ex, her oldest childs dad. Monday both parents and oldest childs dad had a meeting with cps for child support, etc. Tuesday was court on the same. Daughter in law and oldest childs dad signed away their rights to the oldest and she signed away hers to my grandchild and is also trying to persaude my son to do the same. Not happening. Where do we go from here and what do we do? We are at a loss.

Your son needs to hire an attorney. If you want to try to get custody then you need an attorney.
Having legal representation is your only hope. I wish I could be more encouraging but since I was not in the courtroom and I did not hear the evidence, I am unable to provide any additional help to you.

I hope that you are able to have a Merry Christmas. I'm sorry that you are going through this.

Where do you go from here? You make a visit to a lawyer who handles CPS cases.

What do you do? You explain the situation in all its painful detail to the lawyer you visit.

You are at a loss? Ask the lawyer you visit with for advice specifi to your situation.

CPS has a poor reputation with many people. However, generally speaking CPS tries to find the best placement they can for a kid. From your description, things have gotten very far down the road with the CPS situation. So, you meeting with a lawyer has now become urgent...do it ASAP.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Fran Brochstein

Fran Brochstein

Great answer - Merry Christmas!