Skip to main content

How do I get custody from my parents of my siblings?

Tucson, AZ |

I escaped an abusive home environment when I turned 18 years old and moved out. I am now getting married Oct, 2014 and will soon have a house in my name. My younger sister is still at my parents home to which she has reported to me that they have been verbally abusing her - physically abusing her and attempting to cut off all contact with me. I grew up in the same environment and had called CPS when I was a child to attempt to get out of the situation. They didn't do anything at the time because my father is a local leader in the community. I want to know how I can gain custody of my younger sister from my parents to remove her from that situation. Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am sorry to hear that your sister is in a difficult situation. In this matter, ARS 25-409 controls, which I have linked at the end of this post. There are certain factors that must be present for a third party, someone who is not a legal parent, to petition for legal decision making and physical custody over a child. Please See ARS 25-409(A) and (B) to view the requirements.

My recommendation would be that you obtain a free consultation from a family law attorney to review your case before taking action.

Good luck!

Judd S. Nemiro
Law Offices of Judd S. Nemiro, PLLC

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer