Skip to main content

How do i get custody?

Star, NC |

How can i get custody of a 14 year old from her aunt? I am not related but the littlw girl desperately wants to live with me. She was put in a different home beside her aunts through dss but her aunt has custody and doesn't want her to come stay with me. Im well fit and a stable home. i know her well but the only problem is that i am in a wheelchair. Would that be a set back? And if so what could i do to get her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are in a tough spot because D.S.S. is involved. If her current placement satisfies D.S.S. and is family, I would think that you would have a very difficult time getting custody of the 14 year old. It doesn't have anything to do with you being in a wheelchair, it's just that D.S.S. is set up to limit the amount of transitions a child goes through as much as possible and give preference to family placement. If you can contact a local attorney who is familiar with D.S.S. and family law, that would be a great place to get some advice.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer