Skip to main content

How do I get court ordered supervised visitation lifted?

Natchez, MS |

About three years ago my parents got custody of my son. The courts made a temporary custody order permanent. In that order I have supervised visitation. I moved in with my parents to be with my son before the order was made permanent. Since then I have completed my associate's degree, gotten a full-time job at a community college, and quit using drugs. I am at the point that I am ready to move on with my life, get my own place, and petition for custody, but before then I want to get the supervised visitation lifted so that my son can come stay weekends, or whenever with me at my place to help transition him into living with me full-time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can file a petition for modification. I suggest you get counsel to assist you

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.


Retain an attorney to assist you in petitioning the court to modify the present custody arrangement.

Answer is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


?Understand that the standard you must meet to modify custody against the wishes of the current custodial parents is very high. It really doesn't matter how much your situation has improved. What matters is the child's situation. Unless your parents agree to give you custody, you would have to prove a material change in circumstances adverse to the best interest of the child. In other words, you have to show that something is different in the custodial home now, since the date of the last order, and that whatever has changed is somehow bad for the child.

Modifying your visitation is somewhat easier--there, the positive steps you have taken to get back on track are relevant, and may help you gain additional visitation. Contact a local attorney to pursue this further.

Answers provided are for informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is intended or implied.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer