Skip to main content

How do i get copies of my tax returns?

Miramar, FL |

While traveling I lost a briefbag that had my tax returns for the last 5 years. I do not have any copies anywhere. Where and how can I get copies of these tax returns?

+ Read More

Filed under: Tax law
Attorney answers 2


You can obtain an exact copy of your returns by completing IRS form 4506. The IRS charges a fee for each year. If you only want the data from the return, you can obtain a transcript for each year for free. Call 800-829-1040 (Hint: Don't use your cell unless you have an unlimited plan!) or file IRS form 4506T-EZ.


As the other attorney suggested you can request copies from the IRS. You can also ask the tax preparer that you used for copies. This may be the easiest approach if you had someone prepare your returns.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.