Skip to main content

How do I get Complaint and Summons forms to take a contractor to court in Spokane, WA?

Spokane, WA |

The claim is under $5000 and for improperly installed siding. The Department of Labor & Industries said that I need to obtain a Complaint and Summons but they cannot tell me where to get them and they will likely be difficult to find. I have called the court house, looked on a Washington state courts website for forms, called the local office form supply store and tried to get a hold of Gonzaga's volunteer law program. All to no avail. I eventually found an online store at that has the properly named forms. How can I be sure that these forms will be accepted by the courts? Also, is there a way to find out if the contractors bond has been attached to by someone else before I put in all the time and money? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you are considering filing a complaint against a contractor you should really consider at least consulting with a local attorney in your area that handles construction cases. There are a lot of steps you can mess up and even a short consultation can get you pointed in the right direction.

You should also be aware that If you are able to successfully pursue a bond claim against the contractor, you may also be entitled to attorney’s fees – see RCW 18.27.040(6). This statute is narrowily constructed and is limited, but could make hiring the attorney well worth it.

To check whether a contractor has an impaired bond go the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries website and lookup the contractor. Below I have provided links to Info on Small Claims, L&I website and Contractor’s Registration Statute (RCW 18.27).