Skip to main content

How do I get Commissioner & GAL to see through the BS that my son's father is presenting? They don't listen to anything I say!

De Pere, WI |

It took 2 1/2 years and $5,000 to finally get an agreement of e/o weekend for my 13yr. old son. Now his Dad says his job (split shift/dif.weekends) is an issue (but hasn't been for last 18 months??) & he wants him EVERY wknd HE has off. The fact that Dad's brother is top of law agency in this county doesn't help me AT ALL, they do what he asks for. He stopped being civil. He also wants son to stand up for his wedding & I believe w/no OK from me. this is real reason. Court order states 7 days vacation over YOUR weekend & petitioner (ME) rules on even number years. So I can say NO & it's MY weekend & we have plans to go out of state! How can he do this? Son is dyslexic w/ADHD, needs stability, not random weekends! How do I get ANYONE to care AT ALL about this? Who wants to figure out wknds?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can hire an attorney. Try legal aid if you can't afford one. Some lawschools also run legal aid clinics and have different requirements that your state's legal aid foundation.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


You need to hire an attorney to represent you. but if your biggest beef is that your ex wants his son to attend his wedding, don't count on a judge siding with you.


If the GAL is not in your side and the Commissioner is listening more to him or her, you may need to request a custody study and a certification to the judge. You need to consult with an experienced family law attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer