Skip to main content

How do I get certified to practice multiple areas of Law?

Ogden, UT |

I want to do Criminal Defense, Civil, Entertainment, and maybe Family Law. How would I obtain all that?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Attorneys are allowed to practice in broad areas of the law. All attorneys are theoretically able to practice "Criminal Defense, Civil, Entertainment, and maybe Family Law"; however, as a practical matter attorneys specialize in one area and become experts in that area. The law, like society in general, is becoming increasingly complex. 25 years ago a small town attorney could handle a large variety of case. Today that is almost impossible. All I handle are criminal cases and I go up against another specialist: the prosecutor, who all they do is prosecute criminal cases. Utah criminal laws are constantly changing, and every legislative session the criminal statutes are amended. In the end, the best attorneys specialize in one area of the law and become knowledgeable in that area. Again, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to be top attorney in vastly different areas of the law. For the same reason there are no great restaurants that serve Chinese, Greek, Italian, Mexican, French, Mediterranean and Indian food. I hope this answer helps. Sincerely, Utah Criminal Trial Attorney Clayton Simms


Not every state has "certification." Check with the Bar Association where you plan on practicing.


You should contact your Bar Association directly to see if your state has a "certification" or "specialization" program. If there is a program for your state they would likely administer it and would be able to provide the appropriate rules and regulations.
Here in VA we don't. As Mr. Cassara points out, many states don't.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.