Skip to main content

How do I get back all/partial of the money I feel I am owed after my ex-fiancé abandoned our home we bought together?

Maywood, NJ |

We bought the home 3 years ago together, both of us are on the deed and mortgage. She left 29 months ago and stopped paying on the mortgage or maintenance. I con't paying the mortgage (roughly $4000 a month, it includes taxes and insurance). I still live in the home. I contacted an attorney. She also hired and attorney. We had multiple meetings to negotiate a buyout that all failed. There is also furniture in the home that we bought together that I still have. To date I have paid aprox $116K between mortgage and maintenance costs over the 29 months since she left. My question is if I force a sale of the property is there a way to get any of the money that I forked out that she skipped out on? If so, how much would it cost? The house is worth about $500k, the principal left is about $450

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will likely need to file for partition. In a partition action, the court orders the sale of the property and performs an accounting of contributions to determine how the money will be distributed.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


Considering you have already retained an attorney to handle this matter, I suggest you speak to your attorney and clearly convey all of your concerns. Also discuss filing an action for partition, as Mr. Millar suggested in his answer.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.


Your attorney is in a better position to advise you because he/she has more information about this matter.

By answering this question I have not assumed any attorney/client relationship and/or privilege.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer