Skip to main content

How do I get an Illinois tax lien withdrawn because it was filed in error?

Rockton, IL |

My federal return was filed and ultimately audited. I moved out of state was not represented and did not respond to the audit. Once I became aware of the audit and learned the return had been adjusted my accountant filed for an audit reconsideration and the adjustments were reversed. Meanwhile the state of Illinois received the erroneous information from the IRS and filed a tax lien against me. I faxed them a copy of the IRS account transcript showing that the lien should not have been filed. They have only agreed to "release" the lien and not "withdraw" it as they should because it was filed in error. I also had to pay them $22 to issue the release. How do I get the lien withdrawn and ultimately removed from my credit report? The released lien is having a negative effect on my credit. Help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The IRS may now issue a withdrawal of a filed Notice of Federal Tax Lien after the lien has been released. If you wish to have the Notice of Federal Tax Lien withdrawn, you must request the withdrawal in writing. Please use Form 12277, Application for Withdrawal (PDF). In item 11, Reason for requesting withdrawal, check the last box, “The taxpayer, or the Taxpayer Advocate acting on behalf of the taxpayer, believes withdrawal is in the best interest of the taxpayer and the government.”



This is a State tax lien, not a federal tax lien.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer