Skip to main content

How do I get a work permit if I am a UK citizen

Chicago, IL |

I am from the UK and I am starting a school here in the USA next summer . I have been offered a job just a already I want to stay in the USA and work for a year before i start school , I am don't have any visa at the moment or a SSN and I just don't know where to start and how to go about getting a work visa than changing to a student visa. I intend to stay in the USA after I have finished school

The school I am starting is PHD Grad school

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It depends on your background and qualifications. If, at minimum, you have a bachelors degree you may be able to qualify for an H-1B. That said, if the job offer is not from a cap exempt employer then the earliest you can start working will be October 1st 2014 based on an approved petition. To fully explore all your options, I would suggest contacting a qualified immigration attorney.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.


From what you stated .. .you can NOT get a work permit ... sorry.

If you have a college degree, you can file for an H visa in April 2014, to start working in October 2014 ... again, sorry.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


As you stand now, you have no basis for obtaining a work permit. Sorry. Best to inquire around and find an employer who will be willing to sponsor you for either a J-1 or even H-3 training visa, and if you are a university graduate, for an H-1B professional worker's visa come April 1, 2014. You have everything to gain, and absolutely nothing to lose (aside from a few quid) from a paid consultation with a competent immigration lawyer well versed in business immigration and work visa.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


There are many types of work visas. See

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Plenty of types of work visas

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630


Attorney Nossa provided you with an excellent analysis. I agree with my colleagues that obtaining a work visa would be difficult if you are talking about an H1-B option. As for other options of being to able to work in the U.S., follow the advice of my other learned colleagues who provided links to different visa types. Whatever you choose to do, do not go it alone - hire an immigration attorney first.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer