Skip to main content

How do I get a quick divorce in MN?

Saint Cloud, MN |

Long story short, this an abusive marriage both emotionally, physically, and verbally. I have 3 children, one of which is his and was born before we got married. We have the normal household furniture, and a vehicle together. I would like the furniture to sell so I can get another place to live and he can stay in our current residence. The car can be his. I worked all of last year 2012 and made 22000 and he made a lil over 1000 last year but owes 7000 in back child support. I had to do an injured spouse and want the full refund to be mine with maybe giving him 1000 of it. I want a clean and fast out, I want full physical and legal custody of my daughter, and I need to know if this is possible.

Also, what is the average cost to have a lawyer do the paperwork for me? I would go to legal aid but there is literally a 2 year wait for a laywer. I get 189 in unemployment a week and I have yet to know when I will get my taxes....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hello. It is not allowed to post prices on this website. Some attorneys, myself included, will provide 'limited scope' legal services (this is also known as 'unbundled legal services') to help you in your divorce. I suggest you google those terms for descriptions. Also, some attorneys, myself included, will confer with you at no charge, for free, initially. And then, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for your financial need. Definitely, I do urge you to seek legal advice and attorney assistance in preparing your divorce. As an active attorney volunteer myself, I empathize with what you stated about obtaining free legal services. All the best to you and your daughter.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq., Family Law, Divorce Law, Parenting Time & Cutody Law, Rule 14 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See


Having a quick divorce depends entirely on how well the two of you cooperate in dividing your property. If both of you agree on all issues, you can file a joint petition for divorce and the matter can be handled in a short period of time fairly inexpensively. If not, the. The matter has to go through the normal court process.

I caution you that fast divorces are not always in your best interest, especially with some of the demands you've already listed. I suggest you consult with an attorney to formulate a strategy that is in your best interests.


Ms. Dwyer provides excellent guidance. I would follow it.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.


You should consult with an attorney right away. I also offer free consultations. Settling the divorce quickly will depend on reaching an agreement with your husband. It sounds as if property will not be a highly contentious issue, but custody might be. 612-206-3722

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas offers free consultations by phone or in person. To schedule one today call 612-206-3722 or email me at Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Avvo child custody email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about child custody law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer