Skip to main content

How do i get a public defender or court appointed lawyer?

Philadelphia, PA |

How do i go about getting a public defender or a court appointed lawyer for mg babyfather whose pre-trial is April 10th. Who do i call? What would i need to do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Talk to the Philadelphia Defender's Association. You will have to provide proof of his lack of ability to pay for a lawyer. Call them today, to give them as much time as possible to both take him on as a client, and meet with him before his hearing date.



What type of proof would i have to give them he is in jail his mom paid a lawyer for arraignment but she can't afford him nomore so he won't show up for his pretrial,that's why he'll need a p.d

Matthew Paul Scheitrum

Matthew Paul Scheitrum


Give them a call, and ask what you will need.


If he is incarcerated and cannot afford a private lawyer, he will be appointed one and you will not need to be involved. If he is on the street, he should call them at 215-568-3190.


If you qualify financially often you apply through the PD's office prior to first appearance & in some state it is done on the say of arraignment (prior to entering a plea). Contact a local PA criminal attorney for advice - many do not charge a fee for an initial consultation. I am a California attorney not licensed in PA and not familiar with their laws & procedure. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


Depending on the county,k you have to qualify financially


Go to the second floor of the Criminal Justice Center. At the information center tell them you cannot afford a lawyer. They will direct you to the PD who will evaluate whether your babyfather is eligible. If not, consider an attorney who will provide affordable and personal representation. I practice Criminal Defense in Philadelphia. Do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer